A Toronto-based publishing house rejected an offer to print Gerald Stanley’s story, according to a news release issued on Thursday.
In the statement titled “No, We Will Not Publish Gerald Stanley’s Story,” publisher Between the Lines said it was contacted by a representative from Robertson Stromberg LLP to print the account.
The news release is undersigned by Between the Lines’ editorial committee.
Stanley’s defence lawyer, Scott Spencer, is an attorney with Robertson Stromberg LLP.
Last month, Stanley was found not guilty of killing 22-year-old Colten Boushie after he and others from the Red Pheasant First Nation drove onto Stanley’s property near Biggar, Sask., in August 2016.
The publishing house also called on other companies to reject the request, which Between the Lines said was sent to “several publishing houses in Canada.”
The news release said publishing Stanley’s story would contribute to injustices experienced by Boushie’s family and Indigenous people and allow Stanley to gain financially from the death.
Publishing Stanley’s account would also “perpetuate our unequal justice system,” according to the release.
“If there is an untold side of this story that ought to be published, it is that of the one person who can no longer tell his story — Colten Boushie,” the editorial committee wrote, noting they have “a great deal of power as publishers to choose who is and who is not heard.”
Acquitted of murder, Stanley still faces two counts of improperly storing firearms.
He is due back in North Battleford provincial court on April 16.