March 1, 2018 6:23 pm

Surrey RCMP charge man for alleged assault of Syrian refugee

FILE - Surrey police say a 52-year-old man, who is known to them, has been charged for allegedly assaulting an 18-year-old Syrian refugee last year.

Bayne Stanley/The Canadian Press
A A

Surrey RCMP say a 52-year-old man has been charged after allegedly assaulting a recent Syrian refugee.

Police say Mark Nijjer was walking near the Newton bus loop when he allegedly elbowed the 18-year-old victim in November 2017.

Cpl. Scotty Schumann said the family was surprised with the charge.

“When you’re fleeing from a country that’s war-torn like Syria is, and coming to a country like Canada with an excellent reputation… It caught this family off-guard,” he said.

READ MORE: Police release updated suspect description after Syrian refugees pepper sprayed in Vancouver

RCMP say Nijjer is known to police, and is scheduled to appear in court next week.

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.