Advertisement

Upgrades announced for Oliver hospital

Oliver and Osoyoos share the emergency sector at the South Okanagan General Hospital.
Oliver and Osoyoos share the emergency sector at the South Okanagan General Hospital.

Interior Health announced Thursday it’s moving forward with a $970,000 upgrade to the emergency department at South Okanagan General Hospital (SOGH).

WATCH:  Interior Health CEO Addresses myriad of issues facing rural Oliver hospital

The project is partially funded by the Okanagan Similkameen Regional Hospital District (OSRHD), which will contribute 40 per cent, and the Province of B.C. will contribute the remaining 60 per cent.

“Last fall I had the opportunity to travel to Oliver and to meet with members of the community, physicians and hospital staff. I heard firsthand about the great work that is happening to support health-care in this region, but also, the challenges faced at this site,” said Health Minister Adrian Dix in a news release. “The health authority will now be consulting with local physicians and staff to make sure that the upgraded space best meets the needs of patients and providers.”

Story continues below advertisement

WATCH:  ‘They are long overdue’: upgrades proposed for Oliver hospital ER

Upgrades include a new waiting and triage area, a separate emergency department entrance, and the relocation of admitting and administration services.

The design phase is expected to begin this spring, and construction should start by winter 2018.

The emergency department will remain open during construction.

 

Sponsored content