Thirty-year-old Abdulahi Sharif has been charged after a police officer was stabbed and four pedestrians were struck down by a fleeing U-Haul truck on Saturday night.
Sharif was charged with five counts of attempted murder, five counts of criminal flight causing bodily harm, dangerous driving and one count of possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.
READ MORE: Who is Abdulahi Sharif?
Although police have said terrorism charged are expected, none has been laid so far.
“A terrorism investigation is very complex and vast,” said Supt. Stacey Talbot with RCMP K Division. “It deals with political, religious, or ideological purposes and we are still very much in the infancy stage. This investigation is continuing and it will take us some time.
“As we move forward, as we gather more information and evidence… if warranted, further charges will be pursued.”
Police described Sharif as a 30-year-old Edmonton resident “who currently holds convention refugee status.”
According to information provided to the police by the Government of Alberta, Sharif is a Somali refugee who came to Canada in 2012.
Watch below: RCMP say a terrorism investigation is very ‘complex and vast’
The charges come after Const. Mike Chernyk was run down by a vehicle and stabbed outside Commonwealth Stadium while conducting a roadblock at an Edmonton Eskimos football game. He has since been released from hospital and is recovering from stab wounds to the face and head.
“The constable is doing surprisingly well,” EPS Insp. Carols Cordoso said, adding he is receiving support from police and family.
Four pedestrians were also injured when they were run struck by a U-Haul van in downtown Edmonton. As of Monday morning, two of the pedestrians remained in hospital. The other two pedestrians have been released from hospital.
“At this time, two continue to remain in hospital and one is still in serious condition,” Talbot said.
Watch below: How Saturday’s attacks in Edmonton unfolded
In response to questions about the police pursuit from Wayne Gretzky Drive to downtown, Cordoso had this to say:
“Two marked police vehicles and four tactical vehicles were involved. It was a tactical vehicle that performed the manoeuvre to get the U-Haul truck on its side. Other police cars were deployed to the area to block off the streets as the chase was proceeding and to secure the area once the pursuit was complete in order to maintain public safety.
“If we hadn’t pursued this vehicle — in light of the use of the car earlier to run over a police officer and the history of large vehicle attacks in Germany, Spain and other European countries — the outcome would have been much worse.”
The investigation is now being led by the RCMP’s Integrated National Security Enforcement Teams (INSET).
Watch below: RCMP say no public safety concern before Saturday’s attacks in Edmonton
Sharif has been remanded into custody and is scheduled for a bail hearing in provincial court on Tuesday morning.
Watch below: Ongoing Global News coverage of the Edmonton terror attacks