Firefighters were continuing to provide ground support and putting out hot spots of a wildfire in southeastern New Brunswick in the Moncton-area up until dusk on Saturday, according to the Town of Riverview.
In a Facebook post kept updated throughout the day, the town said at 7 p.m. that Riverview Fire and Rescue crews were still on scene for a fire which apparently started Saturday morning.
The post said crews will return “when it is safe to do so” in the morning, but the site will be monitored throughout the night.
According to the post, Riverview Fire Chief Denis Pleau said he “does not anticipate the need to evacuate.” It says there is also no danger posed to homes or nearby communities.
At about 7 p.m., Riverview Fire and Rescue said in its own Facebook post that the fire was not contained but posed no risk to the town.
Earlier in the day, a spokesperson for the town of Riverview told The Canadian Press the fire was a few kilometres south of the town’s limits and apparently started Saturday morning.
Megan Walsh said the blaze did not pose an immediate threat to Riverview, but residents were advised to stay away from the area to allow for water bombing activity and a nearby trail had been closed.
Walsh said provincial officials were on site and Riverview’s fire department was helping.
The province has imposed a ban on fires Saturday, including firepits and backyard fireplaces.
—With files from The Canadian Press
© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.