May 25, 2017 12:05 pm
Updated: May 25, 2017 8:43 pm

Crews clean up after powerful storm rips through Alberta’s capital

WATCH ABOVE: The rain has stopped and the wind has eased. Fletcher Kent reports on the cleanup in Edmonton after the city says it was battered with its worst windstorm in eight years.


City crews responded to reported of about 900 fallen trees across Edmonton Thursday in the wake of the massive storm the day before.

On Wednesday, wind gusts as high as 107 km/h were reported in Edmonton and parts of the city saw rainfall totals of 40 millimetres by 6 p.m., according to Global Edmonton meteorologist Jesse Beyer.

After warning people the river valley trails were closed Thursday morning, the city of Edmonton said the trails were open as of 11 a.m.

However, officials asked residents to use “extreme caution” while crews inspect and remove fallen trees.

Click here to view a map reporting trail and park closures and cautions.

READ MORE: Capital Region slammed by strong winds, heavy rain during Wednesday storm 

The storm resulted in power outages that affected thousands of people across the city and surrounding areas.

Crews were still working on restoring power Thursday morning.

READ MORE: Nearly 45,000 Fortis Alberta customers suffered power outages during Wednesday storm 

About 2,300 Fortis Alberta customers were still without power Thursday, but crews were working on site and had restored most by 11:10 a.m.

Story continues below

Firefighters said the roof at the Riverbend Athletic Club partially collapsed during the storm and people inside were forced out. No injuries were reported.

All events at the facility have been cancelled until at least Friday.

Fire crews were called to the facility at about 4 p.m. and were inside assessing the damage but they said it appeared to be extensive. The building needs to be checked for structural damage and fire officials said to expect the building to be shut down for some time.

The roof was being repaired on Thursday, but work was still required to address the water damage inside.

The childcare space that used the building said work could take between five and six weeks, meaning it wouldn’t be able to re-open until Aug. 1.

Watch below: Edmonton Fire Chief Ken Block spoke to Gord Steinke on Wednesday about the “hectic afternoon” caused by a significant storm.

© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.