David Caissie to stand trial in death of Carol King
It was a murder that stunned rural residents living in Herschel, Sask., and had people locking their doors.
Now, nearly six years after the death of Carol King, judge has ruled that there is enough evidence for Joseph “David” Caissie to stand trial for the crime.
After eight days of arguments over the admissibility of certain statements presented by the Crown, Caissie, in front of three supporters learned his fate on Friday.
He will head to trial for both first-degree murder in connection to his ex-girlfriend’s death and offering an indignity to human remains.
As the judge delivered his decision, Caissie looked up in the prisoners’ box and started to cry.
“There was a live issue that if we had been successful, could have marked the end of the this proceeding,” Caissie’s lawyer Ron Piche said.
“Unfortunately the judge didn’t see it our way, it doesn’t mean the arguments at an end – it’s the same argument that will advance at trial.”
Caissie, who will remain in custody, whispered “I’m so sorry” to his family and friends before being led away.
He has been locked up since July 19, 2016 after being arrested without incident by police.
On Aug. 6, 2011, King went missing without a trace and her disappearance was reported to Rosetown RCMP. Officers went to her Herschel area home at the time but were unable to find any signs of King or her vehicle.
On Aug. 10, King’s vehicle was recovered by RCMP and a little over three weeks later, her remains were discovered in a wooded area approximately six kilometres away.
“The case came down to alleged confessions by Mr. Caissie, alleged admissions so the entirety of the prelim was really aimed at that,” Piche said.
According to Piche, the trial is anticipated to take about six weeks and approximately 45 witnesses will testify.
Caissie is also opting to be tried by judge and jury.
“What is the evidence placed before the jury is going to be the bulk of the case here.”
© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.