Saskatoon firefighters extinguished a commercial kitchen fire involving a deep fryer on the University of Saskatchewan campus.
At around 11:45 a.m. CT on Wednesday, a 911 caller reported a fire at 52 Innovation Blvd.
Crews arrived on scene and saw light smoke around the building. Once firefighters entered the building, they were exposed to limited visibility of less than five feet.
The blaze, which originated in a deep fryer, was found and a portable fire extinguisher was used to put it out.
Saskatoon Fire Department officials said oil was being emptied from the reservoir when it came into contact with the energized heating elements of the deep fryer, igniting the oil.
Damage is estimated to be $30,000.
No injuries were reported.