Advertisement

Montreal mayor says Canadian Grand Prix will go ahead in 2017

Montreal mayor Denis Coderre announced the Canadian Grand Prix will be back next June.

He announced Tuesday there was an agreement in principle between race promoter Groupe Octane and Formula One World Championship Limited.

READ MORE: 2017 Canadian Grand Prix event still to be approved by FIA

The provisional Formula One schedule was published in late September with an asterisk next to the Canadian race, scheduled for June 11.

Doubts about the race at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve arose during last year’s edition, when F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone questioned whether organizers could fulfill their promise to upgrade the circuit’s pit and paddock areas, grandstands and medical centre by 2017.

READ MORE: Montreal mayor says deal reached on Grand Prix track upgrade

A deal signed in 2014 to keep the race in Montreal until 2024, to which three levels of government pledged $187 million, included a promise to make $32.6 million in improvements by 2017.

Story continues below advertisement

Coderre did not provide any details about the agreement, but said the work will be completed by 2019.