Advertisement

Travis Vader: Crown opposes media’s bid to have camera in court for mistrial decision

Justice Denny Thomas, seen here before delivering his decision in the Travis Vader trial on Thursday, Sept. 15, 2016. Global News

The Alberta Crown is opposed to a local media bid to broadcast live when a judge decides whether to grant a mistrial in Travis Vader‘s double-murder case.

To succeed in blocking the broadcast, the Crown must prove it would create “a serious risk to the administration of justice,” lawyers for Global Edmonton and other media outlets said in a submission filed with the court Wednesday.

READ MORE: Media will apply to have cameras in court for mistrial decision

And just a little over a month ago, Justice Denny Thomas agreed to have his verdict in Travis Vader’s case broadcast live, after the same media consortium won the rare approval.

In the submission, the media consortium’s lawyers remind Thomas one of his stated reasons for allowing a camera in court for the Vader verdict was that “public awareness of the final resolution of this lengthy case would increase confidence in the justice system.”

Story continues below advertisement

“The Applicants are of the view that a final resolution in this matter has not occurred,” the submission states.

“The public has a strong interest to once again witness a decision that may significantly impact the outcome of this case.”

READ MORE: Alberta judge allows camera in court for Travis Vader verdict

Watch below: Judge Denny Thomas finds Vader guilty of second-degree murder on Sept. 15, 2016.

Click to play video 'Vader verdict:  Travis Vader convicted of second-degree murder of the McCanns' Vader verdict: Travis Vader convicted of second-degree murder of the McCanns
Vader verdict: Travis Vader convicted of second-degree murder of the McCanns – Sep 15, 2016

The application also notes that the family of Lyle and Marie McCann, the St. Albert couple Vader was convicted of killing, supports the application. It also says Travis Vader himself does not take a position.

Vader’s defence lawyers’ application for a mistrial stems from a controversial decision Thomas made when finding Vader guilty of second-degree murder in the McCanns’ deaths.

Story continues below advertisement

In his Sept. 15 decision, Thomas referenced a section of the Criminal Code that had been struck down by the Supreme Court of Canada over 25 years ago. Vader’s lawyers argue the reference is grounds for a mistrial.

READ MORE: Travis Vader case: Judge weighs mistrial after flawed murder verdict

Watch below: On Sept. 15, Travis Vader was found guilty of second-degree murder in the 2010 killings of Lyle and Marie McCann. His lawyers were back in court Monday asking for a mistrial. Global’s Reid Fiest was in the courtroom and has the details.

Click to play video 'Travis Vader’s lawyers apply for mistrial' Travis Vader’s lawyers apply for mistrial
Travis Vader’s lawyers apply for mistrial – Oct 3, 2016

Lyle and Marie McCann were last seen while on a road trip on July 3, 2010. Their burned out motorhome was discovered a few days later.

Thomas is expected to decide on the camera by the end of next week. He’ll announce his mistrial decision on Oct. 31.

Story continues below advertisement
READ BELOW: The full submission.