Province mulls idea of safety barriers along Anthony Henday Drive
Following a fatal collision on Anthony Henday Drive late last week, the Alberta government said it is looking at what can be done to improve safety on the busy Edmonton roadway.
A 31-year-old man died in hospital Friday after an early-morning collision on the Henday between Lessard Road and Callingwood Road.
Police said a Dodge Ram truck heading south on Anthony Henday Drive crossed over the grass median and collided with a Ford F-150.
The driver of the Ford died in hospital. The 44-year-old driver of the Dodge was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Police investigating the crash said safety barriers between the two directions of traffic might have prevented the tragedy.
“There’s a strong probability that, had there been a better median separating the highway – much like our Highway 2 I-beam steel barriers that we have – I’d say there was a strong probability that there may not have been a fatality here today. And maybe just minor injuries to the other motorist,” Sgt. James McLeod, with the EPS Major Collisions Investigation Unit, said Friday.
While speaking in Edmonton Tuesday about a number of different infrastructure projects, Alberta’s transportation minister said he heard the comments made by police and has “asked officials to look at safety barriers on the entire Henday.”
“I think we will take that as a very important piece of work that we need to attend to and I’m hopeful that I’ll have a report fairly soon on my desk indicating what steps we might be able to take to improve safety,” Brian Mason said.
There’s no word on what installing safety barriers might cost.
© 2016 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.