Winnipeg police use armoured vehicle to arrest man with BB gun

The police used their Armoured Rescue Vehicle (ARV1) to help arrest a man uttering threats and armed with a BB gun on Sept. 21.

WINNIPEG — Winnipeg police arrested a 52-year-old armed man with the help of their new armoured vehicle.

On Sept.21, members of the Tactical Support Team were called on scene to the 600 block of Notre Dame Avenue for reports of a man armed with a gun.

Three people had reported sitting in their vehicle behind an apartment block, when a man approached them and made threatening comments. The victims fled and called police.

READ MORE: Winnipeg police unveil armoured rescue vehicle

Police determined the suspect was in a residence in the area. “Attempts to contact the suspect went unanswered and an armed and barricaded situation was initiated,” police said.

The armoured rescue vehicle (ARV1) was deployed and used to gain entry into home. Police found a Uzi-style replica BB gun and arrested the suspect.

Story continues below advertisement

A 52-year-old Winnipeg man has been charged with uttering threats and pointing a firearm. He was released with a promise to appear in court.

WATCH: Winnipeg police unveil armoured rescue vehicle

Click to play video: 'Winnipeg police unveil armoured rescue vehicle' Winnipeg police unveil armoured rescue vehicle
Winnipeg police unveil armoured rescue vehicle – Jun 22, 2016

Armoured vehicle

When the $343,000 armoured rescue vehicle (ARV1) was first unvelived in June, police said it was much needed tool for officer and public safety.

RELATED: Winnipeg police board to seek annual updates on armoured vehicle

The Gurkha MPV tactical vehicle is bullet-proof, blast-proof and weighs around four times as much as a normal car (15,000 lbs). Heavy, but fast. It cane travel more than 100km/hour. Although police say they don’t expect to take such a heavy vehicle past that speed.

The tactical vehicle is also used in other Canadian cities such as Toronto, Calgary and Hamilton.

Story continues below advertisement

The vehicle was first deployed in July at a call in the North End.

Sponsored content