Advertisement

U of S dorm rooms burn during on-campus fire safety simulation

The Saskatoon Fire Department set two dorm rooms on fire at the University of Saskatchewan as part of a fire safety demonstration. Tyler Schroeder / Global News

Saskatoon fire crews calmly responded to two blazes set in the bowl at the University of Saskatchewan (U of S) on Tuesday, illustrating the risk of fires in dorm rooms.

The second-annual dorm burn simulation included two self-contained rooms placed outside in front of the Peter MacKinnon Building.

Both rooms were intentionally set ablaze.

“We show how fast the fire moves and the importance of having a smoke alarm,” said Kurt Delorme, with the Saskatoon Fire Department.

READ MORE: First-year students at University of Regina transitioning to life on residence

The first room, equipped with sprinklers, sustained some fire damage after a box was left on a stove element.

Story continues below advertisement

The second room, lit up by an unattended candle, was fully engulfed within two minutes and didn’t have a sprinkler system.

“We have to be aware of the fire safety of people that are actually in the dorm itself. There’s not only just you, but there could be multiple people,” Delorme said.

Breaking news from Canada and around the world sent to your email, as it happens.

Fire officials warned students to check smoke alarms monthly. They also cautioned people to avoid using hot plates, to dispose of cigarettes carefully and to ensure stove elements are left off when not in use.

The dorm burn was part of the U of S Students’ Union Welcome Week.

Advertisement

Sponsored content

AdChoices