‘I am fine’: Abandoned Japanese boy discharged from hospital

Click to play video: 'Boy left in Japan’s woods as punishment leaves hospital' Boy left in Japan’s woods as punishment leaves hospital
WATCH ABOVE: Japanese boy, 7, found six days after parents left him in a forested area has been released from the hospital – Jun 7, 2016

TOKYO – A Japanese boy who was found nearly a week after he was abandoned in a forest by his parents as punishment waved to onlookers as he was released from a hospital Tuesday.

Seven-year-old Yamato Tanooka was met with camera flashes and cheers from dozens of people when he appeared outside the hospital in the city of Hakodate on the northern island of Hokkaido.

“I am fine,” Yamato said when a reporter asked how he was feeling.

Police don’t intend to press child neglect charges against his parents, police spokesman Shunsuke Kudo said.

Yamato was found in a military training ground hut last Friday, six days after he was reported missing.

READ MORE: Japanese boy found alive nearly week after parents abandoned him in forest

His parents initially told police their son disappeared when they were collecting plants in the forest, but his father, Takayuki Tanooka (Tah-noh-oh-kah), later admitted he had planned to leave Yamato briefly in the forest as punishment because the boy had been throwing rocks at people and cars earlier that day.

Story continues below advertisement

The punishment drew public scrutiny, generating debate in Japan over what is considered excessive in disciplining children.

Kudo said police are considering referring the case to a children’s welfare centre. Miki Kurotatsu with the Hakodate Children’s Welfare Center declined to comment on whether the centre had received a report from police because it was a private matter.

Though he had no food and just drank water during the ordeal, doctors said Yamato only had mild dehydration and minor bruises on an arm and his legs, Japanese media reported.

READ MORE: Where is Yamato Tanooka? Japanese military joins search for missing 7-year-old boy

Wearing a baseball cap and a grey jacket over a T-shirt, Yamato waved at the hospital crowd while holding a greeting card in the shape of an oversized baseball.

Asked what he would like to do, he said he wants to play baseball. He added he would like to go back to school soon and is looking forward to participating in a school sports day.

Before leaving the hospital, his father bowed to the cameras and said, “Thank you.” He had told reporters after his son was found that he regretted his action.

Sponsored content