Advertisement

Text messages show Travis Vader used McCanns’ cellphone: Crown

Travis Vader heads into court in Edmonton for day one of his first-degree murder trial Tuesday, March 8, 2016.
Travis Vader heads into court in Edmonton for day one of his first-degree murder trial Tuesday, March 8, 2016. Global News

EDMONTON — The Crown in Travis Vader’s double-murder trial said phone records filed as evidence show Vader used Lyle and Marie McCann’s cellphone to send text messages to an ex-girlfriend.

In his opening statement, Crown prosecutor Jim Stewart alleged seven phone calls were made to Williams within five minutes followed by two text messages. The Crown alleges it was Vader using the McCanns’ cellphone.

The Crown alleges Vader used the missing St. Albert couple’s phone on July 3, 2010 to send two separate text messages to Amber Williams.

According to phone records released by the Crown, the messages were sent at 2:28 p.m. and 2:32 p.m. on July 3, 2010, the last day the McCanns were seen alive.

“Hey babe its me how are you doing today you know you can still text my phone i can still receive text i miss you so much,” read the first message.

Story continues below advertisement

“I have been trying to call you and text you and email you and face book you and i cant get in touch with you its me t,” read the second message.

The phone records were contained in a binder of evidence filed with the court Tuesday after a former Telus security analyst testified. The context of the messages were not discussed in court Tuesday.

TIMELINE: The key events in the Travis Vader case

Late last week, a cellphone consultant hired by the RCMP to test calls west of Edmonton testified in court.

“I can never tell you that a cellphone was at a certain address,” Bruce Funk, who has worked in the cellular technology field for 46 years, said. He added he could only tell if a cellphone was in a “general” area.

READ MORE: ‘I can never tell you that a cellphone was at a certain address’: technology expert testifies at Travis Vader murder trial

The McCanns, who were in their late 70s, were last seen fuelling up their motorhome in St. Albert on July 3, 2010..

Two days later, their motorhome was found on fire about 200 kilometres west of Edmonton. Their bodies were never found.

Story continues below advertisement

Vader has pleaded not guilty to two charges of first-degree murder in the deaths of Lyle and Marie McCann.

With files from Kendra Slugoski, Global News.