March 25, 2016 8:57 am
Updated: March 25, 2016 4:25 pm

Chase Martens still missing, RCMP send out drones to help with search Friday

WATCH ABOVE: Search for 2-year-old Chase Martens continues

A A

WINNIPEG — The search for Manitoba toddler Chase Martens continues as RCMP gear up for another day scouring fields, bushes and creeks in Austin, Man.

Martens has been missing for more than 60 hours and so far the effort to find the two-year-old has come up empty handed.

The search was suspended overnight Thursday and into Friday morning, however crews plan to resume Friday at 9 a.m.

“We didn’t find anything and then we weren’t able to participate after dark because we’re untrained. It’s a little bit of a let down,” said James Favel, who has been heading up the Bear Clan Patrol search effort.

The North End group has been conducting searches for missing people for years but admit Chase’s age means this case takes more of an emotional toll.


Story continues below

Officers are using drones in their search efforts, to assist in photographing and mapping the area.

Because of the long weekend, RCMP say fewer people could come out to assist with the search.

Slippery highway conditions may also play a factor in the amount of people that show up to help throughout the day.

READ MORE: Hundreds searching for Chase Martens, missing 2-year-old Manitoba boy

Chase was last seen playing outside near his house in Austin at 6 p.m. on Tuesday. He was wearing a blue jacket, red hat, black splash pants and boots that light up when he walks.

RCMP have combed through the area all week, and sent out trained divers to look through bodies of water in the area.

WATCH: RCMP’s search efforts to find Chase Martens

READ MORE: ‘Chase has vanished without a trace’: Parents of missing 2-year-old make emotional plea

Chase’s parents spoke on Thursday making an emotional plea for anyone with information to come forward.

“Chase has vanished without a trace,” Thomas Martens, Chase’s dad said.

“Anyone with information, please find it in your hearts to come forward and do the right thing…if someone has our son, please bring him home.”

WATCH: Parents of missing two-year-old make emotional plea for son

The Canadian Centre for Child Protection sent out a statement on behalf of Chase’s parents Thursday. It read:

“Our Son, Chase, has been missing since March 22nd. It is unlike our son to wonder off of our property, and if he ever, went anywhere, he would always have our dog with him.

Chase has vanished without a trace.  We are still looking for answers or any information that can help bring our son home.

Anyone with information, please find it in your heart to do the right thing and come forward.  Any information is helpful. If someone has our son, please bring him home.  We won’t be angry.  We will be forgiving and grateful. We are devastated to have our son taken from us.  We, Chase’s mom and I (dad) his two big sisters pray every moment that Chase is safe.

We are overwhelmed with the support we have and how the community has come together to help us find Chase, but again any information is helpful.  Please come forward if you know anything.”

An Amber Alert has not been issued at this time

There are specific criteria that must be met before police activate the alert procedures. According to the RCMP:

  • An Amber Alert is intended only for the most serious, time-critical abduction cases.
  • An Amber Alert is not used for cases involving runaways or parental abduction, except in life-threatening situations

When can Amber Alert be activated?

  • Police have confirmed that an abduction has taken place.
  • The victim is a child, or of proven physical or mental disability.
  • There is reason to believe the victim is in danger of serious physical injury.
  • There is information available that, if broadcasted to the public, could assist in the safe recovery of the victim.
  • If all of the above criteria is not met, the Amber Alert should not be activated.
Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.