Quebec police say they have received 200 tips in Cedrika Provencher case
UPDATE: Provincial police announced Tuesday, Dec. 22 that they have called off their search in the death of nine-year-old Cedrika Provencher.
Officers searched the woods in Saint-Mauricie for 10 days.
SAINT-MAURICE, Que. – Quebec provincial police say they have received about 200 tips as they continue their search for clues in the death of nine-year-old Cedrika Provencher.
Her skull was found by passersby last Friday and Capt. Guy Lapointe said the investigation is progressing well.
“We’re satisfied with the search so far,” Lapointe told a news conference Thursday in Saint-Maurice, near Provencher’s hometown of Trois-Rivieres, where she vanished in July 2007.
Lapointe gave few details but did confirm that police are still interested in the driver of a red Acura that was seen near the scene of her disappearance.
“What I can tell you is the red Acura is still an element we’re looking at, it’s still a lead we’re following, so, again, if anybody has information regarding that, we’ll take it,” he said.
Lapointe would not confirm whether police have spoken to the driver again.
He also did not want to answer when asked whether remains other than the skull had been found.
If the search for more clues continues on the weekend, it will do so with fewer officers because some of them need a break from such a gruelling assignment, he added.
WATCH: Nine-year-old Cedrika Provencher disappeared near her home in Trois-Rivieres in 2007, prompting a massive and ultimately fruitless manhunt. This weekend, a group of hunters found her remains. Global’s Felicia Parrillo reports.
© 2015 The Canadian Press