CALGARY – Officers are asking to the public to be vigilant with their vehicles as they work to reduce the number of car prowlings in Calgary.
The Calgary Police Service said Wednesday they are currently seeing a large number of vehicle thefts, with about 19 vehicles stolen every day or 130 each week.
It’s not just privately-owned vehicles that are being targeted – police said transport companies, auto storage companies and rental companies have been hit both through planned thefts and crimes of opportunity.
“These stolen vehicles are often then used in the commission of other offences posing a danger to the public and officers,” said a news release.
Companies in the auto industry are asked to ensure they have a thorough security system, and that vehicle keys are kept in a tightly-secured location.
Tips to prevent vehicle theft and car prowling:
- Don’t leave spare keys in your vehicle. This includes keys left under floor mats or inside fuel-filler areas.
- Don’t leave spare keys in an adjacent vehicle at a residence, or inside an unlocked garage.
- Report any suspicious activity or behavior, such as someone trying door handles on parked vehicles.
- Garage openers should not be left in vehicles, or should be disengaged, as thieves can use them to gain entry into a home where they often find keys for the vehicle nearby.
- Avoid parking in unlit areas at night.
- Don’t leave valuables in your vehicle.
Anyone with information about auto thefts is asked to call police at 403-266-1234 or you can contact Crime Stoppers.