TORONTO – A 29-year-old man from King Township is facing 18 charges after four people, including three children, were killed as a result of a three vehicle collision north of Toronto late Sunday afternoon.
York Regional Police said a vehicle carrying six people — three adults and three children under the age of 10 — was struck by another vehicle at the intersection of Kipling Avenue and Kirby Road at approximately 4:10 p.m ET northeast of Kleinburg in Vaughan.
The children’s 65-year-old grandfather, identified as Gary Neville, died at the scene and two other women were rushed to hospital with serious injuries. Both remain in stable condition and are expected to survive.
WATCH: Community mourning 3 children lost after fatal collision in Vaughan
The women have been identified as the children’s grandmother Josephine Frias and great-grandmother Nerisa Neville.
Police said the three children, identified as Daniel, Harry and Millie Neville-Lake, were taken to hospital in life-threatening condition.
Daniel, nine, succumbed to his injuries on Sunday and five-year-old Harry and a two-year-old Millie died shortly after midnight.
A friend of the victims has since set up an online fundraising page to help the family.
A spokesperson for Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board said the two boys attended St. Joachim Elementary School in Brampton.
The board said the school has made grief counsellors available for students and the Canadian flag was also lowered to half-staff on Monday.
WATCH: St. Joachim staff, students coping after collision claims 3 children’s lives
“Early this morning when the kids got in, the teachers of each of the classes informed the students of the tragedy that took place over the weekend,” said Bruce Campbell of the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board.
“They’re in the process of setting up a memory table so kids can express their views and help them deal with their grief. Tomorrow is a regular scheduled mass at the school. That mass would be said in memory of these students and the family.”
Police say the lone driver of one of the vehicles, identified as Marco Muzzo, has been arrested for impaired driving. He appeared in court Monday morning and is scheduled to reappear on Oct. 2.
He faces a total of 18 charges including impaired driving causing death, over 80 causing death, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death and impaired driving causing bodily harm.
Muzzo had no prior convictions but a source told Global News two speeding tickets had been withdrawn — each going approximately 30 km/h over the limit.
Two occupants of a third vehicle involved in the crash were unharmed.
Police said the major collision unit is investigating the crash and are asking for any witnesses to come forward.
WATCH: Aftermath of fatal car crash in Vaughan
With files from Andrew Russell