Graham DeLaet drops out of RBC Canadian Open
WATCH ABOVE: Graham DeLaet had already completed the first four holes of his second round when he decided his thumb wasn’t cooperating enough to continue. Jay Janower reports.
TORONTO – Canadian golfer Graham DeLaet has withdrawn from the 2015 RBC Canadian Open due to a thumb injury.
The Weyburn, Sask., native injured his thumb during the first round of the Canadian Open Thursday, but he finished the round and was hoping to finish the tournament.
On Thursday, DeLaet said he wasn’t able to move his hand back on drives and felt pain when he released on shots.
“It hurts, it’s an important tournament to me,” DeLaet told reporters Friday morning.
DeLaet said that if he felt he could still compete and hit the ball well, he would have continued in the tournament. But, “I just didn’t have any kind of golf game out there today and it was hurting.”
WATCH BELOW: DeLaet speaks to the media after withdrawing
The next few weeks will be important ones for DeLaet, who said he was looking out for the future with his decision to withdraw. “I still have…a couple playoff events before they make the decisions for the Presidents Cup — I want to try and be healthy and make a good run at that team,” he said.
WATCH ABOVE: Emiliano Grillo fired the lowest score at the RBC Canadian Open while Robert Allenby fired his caddie mid-round. That’s when Tom Fraser got the thrill of a lifetime. Rob Leth reports.
With files from The Canadian Press
© 2015 Shaw Media