Body found in Rideau River identified as man wanted in London teen’s murder

WATCH ABOVE: Muhab Sultanaly Sultan was buried in Ottawa today by his family, after the 23-year-old died while allegedly trying to evade police by diving into the Rideau River. Sultan was wanted on second degree murder charges in connection with the death of 18-year-old Jeremy Cook in London, who was allegedly shot after tracking his lost cellphone. Christina Stevens reports.

TORONTO – Ontario’s police watchdog has identified the body of a man found in Ottawa’s Rideau River as the person wanted in connection to the death of a teen in London, Ont., who was shot and killed after tracking down his lost cellphone.

The Special Investigations Unit said in a media release that 23-year-old Muhab Sultanaly Sultan of Calgary has been identified as the man who entered the Rideau River on June 24.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.
By providing your email address, you have read and agree to Global News' Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Sultan was wanted for second-degree murder in the June 14 slaying of 18-year-old Jeremy Cook over an alleged dispute over a cellphone and an arrest warrant was issued on June 19.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: Police issue arrest warrant for Calgary man in slaying of Ontario teen

Ottawa Police said last Thursday that Sultan was in a vehicle when he tried to run over two on-duty bicycle officers in downtown Ottawa at King Edward Ave. and Rideau St. around 4 p.m. Wednesday, leaving one officer with minor injuries.

They said they gave chase in a squad car and ended up on Wiggins Private near the Rideau River, where they said two suspects jumped out and officers arrested one, but lost the other.

Several hours later police said they were called to the river’s edge at Range Rd. and Mann Ave., where witnesses reported a man was trying to swim across the river.

Police entered the river after the man was showing signs of distress, but as they approached the suspect he went under the water.

Sultan’s body was later recovered on Saturday following a two-day search.

The SIU investigates reports involving police where there has been a death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault.

With files from Adam Miller

Sponsored content