A ban on open burning will be lifted in Prince George, beginning at noon on June 18.
Prince George Fire Centre announced the ban will be lifted throughout the area, as a result of lowered wildfire risks, thanks to cooler temperatures and rainfall.
Earlier in May a restriction on all open fires, except campfires, was issued across Prince George and other parts of B.C.
Get breaking National news
The lifting of the ban comes amidst a province-wide dry spell which has contributed to many wildfires already this year.
Fire Centre officials are still asking people to be cautious with outdoor fires. Residents are urged to take safety precautions such as ensuring enough people, water and tools are on hand to control the fire and prevent it from escaping, avoid windy conditions, creating a fireguard one metre around the planned fire site, to make to never leave a burning fire unattended and to ensure a fire has been complete put out before abandoning the site.
- B.C. 2026 budget ‘neither’ big cuts nor tax increase, minister says
- Former Conservative leader John Rustad says he’s not running for his old job
- Parts of B.C.’s South Coast set to see snow-rain mix with ‘rapidly changing’ travel conditions
- Survivor of one of Canada’s first school shootings reflects on Tumbler Ridge grief
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.