Watch: RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson says the bulk of the report report into last year’s October 22 shooting will be released this week or early next.
OTTAWA – After initially withholding the footage for operational reasons, RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson says the national police force is set to release the unseen 18 seconds of video recorded by Parliament Hill shooter Michael Zehaf-Bibeau.
Paulson announced during the Senate national security and defence hearing Monday that the force is on the verge of releasing a full report on events both inside and outside Parliament Hill during the October 22, 2014 shooting.
WATCH: Global News obtains exclusive details into charges against RCMP
He said the report would be released either this week or early next along with the final 18 seconds of video, 13 seconds from the beginning and five from the end.
In cellphone video screened before a Parliamentary committee in March, Zehaf-Bibeau says his imminent attack is retaliation for Canada’s military involvement in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Paulson confirmed some elements of the final report will be redacted for security reasons. He told reporters that elements of this report may be “at odds” with media reports of that day.
“The bulk of the report will be released,” he said.
The shooting began at the Canadian National War Memorial when Zehaf-Bibeau fatally shot Cpl. Nathan Cirillo while he was on sentry duty before heading to Parliament Hill where he was killed inside during a shootout with Parliamentary security personnel.