Suspects charged following death of Luka Gordic in Whistler

WATCH: A violent Victoria day long weekend in Whistler. One young man is dead – another recovering from stab wounds. The incidents are not believed to be connected, but it is raising concerns in the tourist Mecca. Rumina Daya reports.

The family of Luka Gordic says the 19-year-old was being provoked all night but walked away.

After leaving the 7-11 in Whistler close to midnight Saturday, family say he was jumped by six people.

Fearing for their safety, Gordic’s siblings asked to remain anonymous.

“We just love him so much and I just don’t even know how to feel anymore,” said Gordic’s sister. “Whoever did that killed not only him, killed our whole family. Our family is broken.”

Whistler RCMP say they have several suspects in custody in connection to Gordic’s death. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) has now obtained charges against three people in connection to Gordic’s death. Three 17-year-olds are charged with manslaughter. A 18-year-old man is also facing charges.

Story continues below advertisement

“This was a situation where a group of young people who knew each other had a dispute which turned deadly,” said Sgt. Stephanie Ashton of IHIT.

“There are some witnesses who have yet to speak with investigators about the death of Luka Gordic, we ask that those people come forward now and tell us what they know.”

The three accused appeared in court in North Vancouver on May 19, 2015. They are expected to appear in court again today for a bail hearing.

Gordic’s family say they want justice to be served.

“We are a strong and vibrant family and something special has been taken away  from us,” said Luka’s uncle Gianni. “We just want to ensure that this doesn’t happen to other people as there’s thousands of kids up at Whistler. It could have been anybody’s child.”

WATCH: Media relations officer Sgt. Stephanie Ashton of IHIT holds press conference about the arrests made

Gordic, who turned 19 earlier this month, graduated from Burnaby Central Secondary School a year ago and was studying to become a plumber.

Story continues below advertisement

He was the youngest of four kids and lived at home with his parents, two older brothers, one sister and the family dog.

On Sunday, another 19-year-old from the Lower Mainland was stabbed near Whistler Village. The victim was taken to a local clinic and then transported to Vancouver for medical treatment.

Police say they believe the attacks are not linked.

Sgt. Rob Knapton of Whistler RCMP says the general public should not fear for their safety.

“I wouldn’t consider this to be something that people should be worried about at all,” said Knapton. “These incidents are things that occur between people that know each other and have a history with each other from the places that they live.”

Global News spoke to several people who said they heard Gordic may have been the victim of a gang initiation gone wrong. However, Ashton said Tuesday that “there is no gang affiliation that we know of in any way, shape or form.”

Family say Gordic was repeatedly provoked to fight that night, but chose to walk away from trouble before he was jumped by six people.

The Victoria Day long weekend is often a chaotic time in Whistler.

“A lot of young folks come up and they’re looking for a good time, the majority of them, but there’s a small element just looking to create trouble and party,” Whistler resident Ross McGaw told Global News.

Story continues below advertisement

Whistler Resort Municipality Mayor Nancy Wilhelm-Morden says things have to change.

“This has got to stop,” said Wilhelm-Morden. “This is not acceptable. It’s never been acceptable, but we need to take back this weekend.”

-with files from Rumina Daya, Jeremy Hunka and Canadian Press

Sponsored content