April 1, 2015 5:50 pm

Defence Minister Jason Kenney says ‘sorry’ about smart-bomb gaffe

Jason Kenney apologized for saying only Canada among the U.S. allies had the technology to use smart-bombs in Syria.

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
A A

OTTAWA – Defence Minister Jason Kenney delivered a mea culpa today for his erroneous claims that Canada is the only nation outside of the United States with smart-bomb technology that’s willing to launch airstrikes in Syria.

Kenney made the statement several times last week in the House of Commons, as well as in television interviews and a media availability — but it’s not true.

The United States’ Arab allies – notably Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates – have all conducted airstrikes in Syria against the Islamic State and they all use American-made, laser-guided “smart” weapons.

WATCH BELOW: Jason Kenney says cost of anti-ISIS mission is now $528M

Kenney took responsibility for the mistake in the Commons today — saying he wasn’t given accurate information in military briefings.

Both Opposition Leader Tom Mulcair and Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau slammed Kenney over the smart bombs gaffe — with Mulcair saying the minister has always had “an uneasy relationship” with the truth.

WATCH BELOW: Kenney claims refugees want opposition to support ‘military program’

Kenney also landed in hot water last month when he tweeted a photos of Muslim girls and women covered in black and in chains — citing it as another example of ISIL brutality.

The photos were actually of a ceremonial Shia Ashura ceremony that celebrates the heroism of the prophet Mohammad’s grandson, Hussein, and his family.

© 2015 The Canadian Press

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.