Advertisement

Ladner house fire most likely started by Christmas tree

A family is out safe after a massive fire tore through their two-storey home in Ladner.

Flames broke out just before 11 p.m. Tuesday in the 5600 block of Green Place. Damage is extensive, and flames could be seen shooting through the roof.

It’s believed the fire was started by lights on a Christmas tree. The owner says he was sleeping when he heard his wife scream. When he came out of his room, the tree was on fire.

“Crews showed up. Flames coming out the front door,” says Deputy Chief Robin Cullen of Delta Fire, “Everybody was out. There was a husband and wife, two young adults and a puppy dog.”

The house will likely have to be torn down. The owners had insurance and will now have to figure out exactly what was destroyed while neighbours and family members help them deal with the loss of their home.

Story continues below advertisement

“I’m in tears. It’s absolutely shocking,” says Brian Williams, a member of the family.

The family plans to move in with nearby relatives as they figure out how to rebuild. A fund has been set up for the family to help raise money for them while they get their lives back on track.

If your household includes a Christmas tree, take safety precautions as tree fires can and do happen. Most Christmas tree fires happen because the tree is too close to a source of heat like a fire place.  Shorts in festive electrical lights are also known to be a culprit. Firefighters recommend turning off the lights while you aren’t in the room.

Yoga It Up in Ladner raised $400 through a family yoga class on Jan.1 with all the proceeds going to the family.

13
23
33

With files from Jill Bennett

Advertisement

Sponsored content