White beans, also called navy beans or white pea beans, add nutritional value to this traditional maple syrup pie.
Bean and maple syrup pie
- 250 ml (1 cup) well-cooked (or canned) white beans
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) brown sugar
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) melted butter
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) raisins or chopped pecans
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (23 cm/9 inches) or 18 unbaked tart shells
- Pecan halves (optional)
Heat oven to 180 C (350 F).
In a food processor or blender, puree beans with maple syrup until smooth. Add eggs, sugar and butter and mix just until well blended.
Sprinkle raisins over bottom of pastry shell or tart shells. Pour filling over top. Garnish with pecan halves, if desired.
Bake pie for 35 to 40 minutes or tarts for 20 minutes or until set in centre. Let cool.
Serve at room temperature plain or with whipped cream or ice cream.
Makes 1 pie or 18 tarts.
Nutrition (for 1/10th of a 23-cm/9-inch) pie: 276 calories; 4.3 g protein; 13 g fat; 37.1 g carbohydrates; 2.5 g fibre.
Source: Ontario Bean Growers (ontariobeans.ca)