Menu

Topics

Connect

Comments

Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.

2 teens shot during drive-by shooting in Edmonton’s Strathearn area

Edmonton police said a suspect in a black Mazda 3 car fired several shots at a group of young people near 92 Street and Strathearn Drive, hitting two boys aged 14 and 17, on Friday, May 23. Sarah Komadina reports – May 28, 2025

Two teens were hit by bullets during a drive-by shooting in a south-central Edmonton neighbourhood last week.

Story continues below advertisement

The Edmonton Police Service said it happened around 8:20 p.m. on May 23 near 92 Street and Strathearn Drive.

Police said a group of young people were in the area when a suspect in a black Mazda 3 car fired several shots at them.

Stock image of a 1st Generation (2003-2009) Mazda 3 Sedan. Edmonton Police Service

Two teenage boys, ages 14 and 17, were hit by the bullets. As of Tuesday night, one of them had been released from the hospital, while the other one was in stable condition.

Story continues below advertisement

Residents say Strathearn is usually a quiet, safe neighbourhood on the southern banks of the North Saskatchewan River, full of families and people out enjoying area walking trails and parks.

Residents Cheryl and Neil Prior have lived in Strathearn for 35 years and said because there are two high schools nearby, they see teenagers coming and going all the time.

“We were quite shocked when we heard,” Cheryl said of the shooting. “It’s very unusual for the area — you know, it’s pretty safe. That’s why we walk this area all the time.”

“Young people should be safe. We like to see them out here rollerblading, walking, whatever.”

The fact the shooting happened during daylight on an evening when plenty of people would have been outside enjoying themselves alarmed them, Neil added.

“The sun’s out and it was calm. Like, (if) it would have been two in the morning, maybe a bit more understandable,” he said.

Story continues below advertisement

Resident Jim Kinney said police canvassed the neighbourhood, asking residents for any info they may have.

“Shocked, I suppose, is the first reaction — but somewhat resigned to the fact that it seems to be happening more and more,” Kinney said.

He said the upper-middle-class neighbourhood is generally quiet and safe, and hopes that doesn’t change.

“This is a nice little area, a little piece of paradise. Hopefully it’s once and we don’t have it happen again because it is quite nice to live here.”

It’s not known if the shooter and victims knew each other or if it was a random drive-by shooting.

“Why this neighbourhood? Is it a resident, is it somebody that frequents the neighbourhood?” Kinney said.

“It’s shocking, nonetheless.”

Police said officers continue to investigate and no other information is available.

Story continues below advertisement

Anyone with any information, security camera or dashcam footage related to this incident is asked to contact the EPS at 780-423-4567 or #377 from a mobile phone. Anonymous information can also be submitted to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or online.

Advertisement

You are viewing an Accelerated Mobile Webpage.

View Original Article