May 18, 2017 6:59 pm
Updated: May 18, 2017 7:01 pm

Judge rules to suspend N.B. PC Party nomination convention for Carleton-York

WATCH ABOVE: Seeking an injunction against the PC Party, the courts have ruled in favour of party member Chris Duffie, suspending the Carleton-York nomination convention scheduled for this weekend.

A A

A judge has ruled in favour of Chris Duffie, suspending the PC Party’s convention to name their Carleton-York candidate scheduled for Friday and continuing a legal battle over whether the party member was unfairly kept from seeking the Carleton-York riding.

Duffie alleged the PC Party didn’t follow its own rules by failing to properly notify all members of the riding association that the convention had been scheduled and those seeking the nomination were required to submit documentation.

Story continues below

On May 3, the New Brunswick PC Party made the decision to host the convention on May 19.

READ MORE: Denied N.B. nomination candidate says PC Party employed unfair practices

They posted an advertisement in the newspaper the next day, advising that candidates had until the end of the day May 5 to submit their nomination papers.

Duffie’s case argues that while the newspaper advertisement rule was sufficiently met, no formal notification was given to himself or other riding association members.

Duffie’s lawyer Kevin Toner told Justice Judy Clendening that only on a schedule of events hidden deep within the PC Party’s website was there any mention of the convention.

Clendening said that due to the injunction being filed just days ago it is in the best interests of both affected parties to suspend the upcoming convention and return to the case later in the month.

“I think what the judge said is fairly clear, given the short period of time it couldn’t possibly be fair to the [progressive] conservative party today so she’s going to set it aside,” explained Kelly Lamrock, who is representing the PCs in the case.

“If Mr. Duffie’s injunction is rejected it would be an uncontested nomination and it really does the party no harm,” he said, citing incumbent Carl Urqhart being the sole candidate seeking the nomination in Carleton-York.

“All I’m really looking for is an open, transparent and fair nomination for all,” said Duffie outside the courthouse after the decision came down. “Let’s bring everybody to the table. All I want is to take part in the democratic process.”

“Let’s let it all roll out.”

The two sides are set to return to court on May 29.

© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.