April 6, 2017 8:50 am
Updated: April 6, 2017 6:16 pm

Fire in White Rock forces residents from their homes, damages restaurant

WATCH: No one was badly injured in a White Rock fire but as Jordan Armstrong reports, the outcome could have been a lot worse had bystanders not jumped in to help.

A A

Twenty-six people have been forced from their homes this morning after a fire in White Rock.

A well-known Greek restaurant, Cosmos, also sustained water damage.

Crews were called to an apartment complex on Marine Drive around 11 p.m. on Wednesday. They were able to quickly put out the fire, which is believed to have started on the balcony of a second-floor suite.

Two apartments have fire damage and several others have smoke and water damage.

One person was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation. No one else was hurt.

“We opened the front door and saw flames from above,” said Georgia Theodosakis, the owner of Cosmos. “There was broken glass coming down so we shut the door and ran out the back because the restaurant has gas lines and we were afraid of an explosion.”

 

© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.

Global News