July 28, 2015 6:40 pm

Opposition: Ottawa must do more to fight cyber attacks in light of latest hack

Hacktivist group 'Anonymous' says it's leaking secret documents in retaliation for the RCMP-involved shooting of one of its own.

A A

Hacktivist group “Anonymous” has struck again in this country, leaking what the group says is a classified document from Canada’s spy agency CSIS.

The document is dated February of last year and reveals CSIS was trying to extend its secure network to twenty-five foreign stations.

The leaked document also reveals 70 CSIS operatives work at the stations, processing 22 500 messages a year.

A spokesperson with the government wouldn’t confirm the the legitimacy of the document.

Story continues below

“We do not comment on leaked documents and we continue to monitor this situation closely,” Jeremy Laurin said in an email.

READ MORE: Public safety minister says Anonymous threats against RCMP taken seriously

Liberal MP Marc Garneau says the leak is troubling.

“I was very concerned when I found out that all of this information had been obtained by the group Anonymous,” Garneau said. “This is a very serious wake up call for the government, cyber security is a reality that we must address today.”

This latest hack is the latest in a long string. Last month, CSIS and the Government of Canada’s websites were victims of a cyber attack, and before that websites for the National Research Council and Revenue Canada were hacked.

Just last week, Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney announced 142 million dollars in funding for cyber security over the next five years, which is in addition to 94.4 million dollars allotted in the budget.

Garneau doesn’t think it’s enough.

“They’re [the government] lagging behind the efforts being made, the increasing sophistication that hacking organizations have,” he said. “They’re somewhat asleep at the switch”

WATCH: ‘Anonymous’ cyber-attack on Canadian government servers response to Bill C-51 

Anonymous says the CSIS leak is in retaliation for the RCMP-involved shooting of James McIntyre in B.C.earlier this month.

The group claims McIntyre was one of its own and unless someone from the RCMP is arrested for his death, it will continue “releasing stunning secrets at irregular intervals”.

B.C.’s Independent Investigations Office is looking into the RCMP’s role. A spokesman says the hacktivist group’s threat won’t affect the IIO’s work.

“We’re certainly aware of what’s out there in the social media sphere and the IIO has taken steps to mitigate the situation,” Ralph Krenz said. “However at the end of the day it will not influence the conduct of these files.”

Krenz couldn’t put a timeline on the IIO’s investigation.

“It’s under active investigation at this point in time.”

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.

Global News