Toronto Morning: What you need to know today
IN THE NEWS…
- The Brampton truck driver who crashed his dump truck into the Burlington Skyway earlier this month is scheduled to appear in court Friday morning. Sukhvinder Singh Rai, 34, is facing an impaired driving charge stemming from acollision on July 31 that closed the Toronto-bound lanes of the bridge for several days.
- Environment Canada has issued a fog advisory for parts of southern Ontario Friday morning. The weather alert is in effect for the Greater Toronto Area but does not currently encompass the City of Toronto. Motorist are urged to use caution as there could be near zero visibility in certain areas.
- A Toronto teacher is facing charges following the alleged sexual assault of a student. Police say Joseph Diletto, 34, is a teacher at Hollycrest Middle School and allegedly entered into an inappropriate sexual relationship with a 13-year-old male student.
- News Hour Final anchor Carolyn MacKenzie became the latest member of the Global News team to complete the ice bucket challenge. She got drenched in the final minutes of last night’s 11 p.m. newscast. Always the professional, Carolyn continued to present the final few news items while cold and soaking wet.
- There are a number of road closures in Toronto this weekend due to several special events such as the Buskerfest, Taste of Manila and Festival of South Asia.
A mix of sun and cloud. 40 percent chance of showers late this afternoon with risk of a thunderstorm. Fog patches dissipating this morning. High 24. UV index 7 or high.
To get real-time weather for your area, download the Global News Skytracker weather app.
TRAFFIC AND TRANSIT
Roads: Click for the latest Toronto traffic.
© Shaw Media, 2014