IN THE NEWS…
- The Toronto Transit Commission wants to improve service to its riders but it will have to come at a cost. A TTC report to be presented at a board meeting on Tuesday proposes to add a myriad of improvements to existing bus, streetcar and subway service at a cost of $19 million in 2015 and an increase each year of up to $69 million in 2018.
- Transits users traveling their way through Union Station may notice a slightly less congested commute Monday with the opening of a new subway platform. Toronto Transit Commission crews have been working all weekend long to put the finishing touches on a second platform which opened to the public at 6 a.m.
- Police are investigating two pedestrian fatalities after both were struck and killed by separate vehicles in Scarborough and downtown Toronto. The vehicles remained at the scene in both cases but there’s no word yet on any charges.
- The poll from CIBC found that about half, or 51 per cent, of post-secondary students said they would need to borrow money to pay for tuition, living expenses and books.
- Emmanuel Arceneaux’s 53-yard TD grab with just over seven minutes remaining earned the B.C. Lions a 33-17 milestone win over the Toronto Argonauts on Sunday night. Arceneaux broke two tackles en route to the end zone at 8:33 of the fourth quarter to anchor the Lions’ 500th all-time victory. B.C. (5-3) outscored Toronto (3-5) 20-7 in the final frame for its third straight victory.
Sunny. Becoming a mix of sun and cloud this morning. High 22. UV index 7 or high.
To get real-time weather for your area, download the Global News Skytracker weather app.
TRAFFIC AND TRANSIT
Roads: Click for the latest Toronto traffic.
© Shaw Media, 2014