Police exchange gunfire with man in North End standoff
WINNIPEG – A 15-hour standoff between officers and a man inside a North End home ended at 3 a.m. Thursday, police say.
Several shots were exchanged Wednesday night between Winnipeg police and a man who barricaded himself inside a home on Stella Avenue.
Police will not confirm if the suspect is alive; however, no arrests were made.
As many as six gunshots were heard Wednesday evening as police surrounded the home, residents said.
Police were originally sent to the home on Stella between Andrews Street and Powers Street after receiving reports of a “man in distress.”
When they arrived just before 11 a.m., an armed man threatened to harm himself and officers, police said.
Talks to diffuse the situation continued for hours, but around 8:20 p.m., negotiations broke down. The man opened fire on officers and they fired back, police said. At that time, police said no one had been injured.
Police have not said whether anyone else was inside the home.
One resident told Global News police were everywhere, crouching behind cars and bushes.
“It’s scary when shots go off. It’s really piercing to the ears,” said Renae Houles.
At one point power to the street was cut off and those who live in the immediate area were forced out of their homes as a precaution.
Buses were brought in for residents whose residences had electricity cut. Power was restored around 10:30 p.m.
Residents will not be allowed back inside their homes until later Thursday afternoon, police said. They are expected to remain on scene well into the day.
© 2014 Global News