July 29, 2014 8:02 am

Bardem, Cruz condemn “genocide” in Gaza

Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz, pictured in 2011.

Jason Merritt / Getty Images

TORONTO — Actor Javier Bardem and his wife Penelope Cruz have rallied Spanish filmmakers and musicians to call on the European Union to condemn the bombing of Palestinian civilians in the Gaza strip.

“Gaza is living through horror these days, besieged and attacked by land, sea and air,” reads an open letter published Tuesday in Spanish newspapers.

Story continues below

“Palestinians’ homes are being destroyed, they are being denied water, electricity [and] free movement to their hospitals, schools and fields while the international community does nothing.”

Among those who put their names on the letter are director Pedro Almodovar.

In an opinion piece published last week in El Diario, Bardem said he is “outraged, ashamed and hurt” by what he called “genocide.”

Bardem, whose son Leo was born in a Jewish hospital, said he understands the threat Israel faces and he supports the Jewish people.

But, he added, “being Jewish does not automatically mean you support this massacre, just like being Hebrew does not mean you are a Zionist, just like being Palestinian does not automatically make you a Hamas terrorist,” he wrote. “That’s just as absurd as saying that being German makes you Nazi.”

© Shaw Media, 2014

Report an error

Comments