July 11, 2014 10:00 am

Nova Scotia Power response to Arthur outages to be reviewed

Mark Blinch/The Canadian Press

MIDDLETON, N.S. – Premier Stephen McNeil says the province’s Utility and Review Board will review Nova Scotia Power’s response to post-tropical storm Arthur.

Speaking Friday outside his constituency office in Middleton, McNeil said the utility’s response to damage cause by last Saturday’s storm was inexcusable.

McNeil says the review is a priority given the extent of the outages and Nova Scotia Power’s lack of communication.

Earlier this week, Nova Scotia Power president Bob Hanf apologized for problems the company had communicating estimated restoration times to its customers through its website and call centre.

McNeil says the review will look at storm preparedness, the utility’s staffing levels and the state of vegetation management.

He says the board will release the terms of its review process next week and the public will be invited to participate.

He says 2,200 customers remain without power, with the majority of outages in the Annapolis Valley.

© The Canadian Press, 2014

Report an error

Comments