June 18, 2014 12:40 pm
Updated: June 18, 2014 1:03 pm

Man pleads guilty to uttering threat against police officers in Moncton

stock photo of the scales of justice

Damien Meyer/Getty Images

MONCTON – A 25-year-old man has pleaded guilty in Moncton to uttering a threat to cause death to peace officers.

Jasper John Stam made the plea Wednesday during a scheduled bail hearing at the provincial court house in Moncton. Stam had been charged with making threats to kill police, sometime between May 10 and May 18.

The charge was amended Wednesday because the investigation found Stam had not made the threats directly to a police officer, but instead about police to other people.

Story continues below
Global News

Stam was held in custody but was released from custody today by a provincial court judge on conditions. Stam is to be placed under house arrest and will only be allowed to leave for work purposes, medical reasons or religious and family obligations.

He is not allowed to have access to the Internet, and can also have no direct or indirect contact with Justin Bourque, the man accused of killing three RCMP officers.

Stam’s lawyer, Jean Cormier, told reporters outside the courtroom he could not elaborate on why that condition is in place.

“That will become I think more obvious and more clarified [at sentencing]. I cannot really comment on that,” he said.

Stam was released from the courthouse shortly after his plea and was met by several friends. His will be sentenced Sept. 9.

With files from The Canadian Press.

 

Report an error