Advertisement

1 dead after electrocution at Calgary’s Southcentre Mall

Click to play video: 'Man dies after being electrocuted at Calgary’s Southcentre Mall' Man dies after being electrocuted at Calgary’s Southcentre Mall
WATCH: Calgary’s Southcentre Mall was closed down Wednesday afternoon because a contractor died after being electrocuted inside the mall’s electrical room. As Matthew Conrod reports, Occupational Health and Safety has been called in to investigate – Sep 29, 2021

A person died after being electrocuted at a shopping mall in Calgary on Wednesday.

According to the Calgary Fire Department, emergency crews were called to Southcentre Mall just after 12:30 p.m. for reports of an electrocution.

The person was in an electrical room at the time, the fire department said.

“Tragically, the individual involved did not survive,” the CFD said.

Emergency crews outside the Southcentre Mall in Calgary after a person was electrocuted. Global News

In an emailed statement, a spokesperson for the mall said the person killed was an employee of a contractor.

Story continues below advertisement

“Everyone who works at Southcentre is a part of a committed community and our staff are deeply impacted by what occurred,” the spokesperson said.

“Our thoughts are with the individual’s family.”

The mall was closed for the day as officials investigated the person’s death.

Occupational Health and Safety said it had been notified of the incident and officials were investigating.

The area was cordoned off from the public and the power was shut off while the situation was left in the care of EMS and police.

— More to come

Sponsored content