Man in hospital after gunshots fired in Montreal’s Old Port

Click to play video: 'Residents and merchants in Montreal’s Old Port concerned over recent shootings'
Residents and merchants in Montreal’s Old Port concerned over recent shootings
WATCH: Montreal police are investigating the second shooting in as many nights in Old Montreal. The two incidents follow the lifting of curfew and the easing of other COVID-19 restrictions across the province last Friday. As Global’s Phil Carpenter reports, the two incidents have people concerned about a trend of violence in that part of the city. – May 31, 2021

Montreal police are investigating after gunshots were fired early Monday morning in the Old Port, injuring a 29-year-old man.

Montreal police said officers responded to reports of gunshots fired at around 3:15 a.m. near St-Antoine and Gosford streets.

Police discovered a 29-year-old man with a gunshot wound in his lower body.

He was conscious when transported to hospital, said Montreal police spokesperson Jean-Pierre Brabant.

The victim, Brabant said, is also considered a suspect in the investigation.

A handgun and multiple gun shell casings were found at the scene and three men, including two 25-year-olds and a 36-year-old, have been arrested.

Story continues below advertisement

Brabant said all four men are known to Montreal police services.

Click to play video: 'Violence in the Old Port'
Violence in the Old Port

Gang violence is suspected but has yet to be confirmed, he added.

The investigation led police to search a nearby building on St-Antoine Street after a SWAT team was called in to secure the area.

Montreal police spokesperson Véronique Comtois said around 20 people were found at the location.

Police are trying to determine if and how the individuals were involved.

The shooting marks the second consecutive night of violence in the Old Port.

Story continues below advertisement

On Saturday, a young woman was shot in the foot when caught in the crossfire of a fight in the area that left a 19-year-old man stabbed in his upper body.

Both victims were transported to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The incident happened near the Clock Tower Quay where thousands of people were gathered in celebration of the city’s second night with no curfew.

Police  inspector David Shane said the lifting of COVID-19 restrictions on Friday has coincided with a rise in violence across the city.

“We’ve had maybe a dozen events that we can link to incidents of violence,” he said. “There was one murder, there was some fighting, possession of weapons and we can say that in five of those events already police have proceeded to arrest.”

Shane said officers will be monitoring the situation on Monday evening, including the outcome of the Montreal Canadiens game against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

“We hope the fans, the citizens, will be mature and responsible in the way they express their happiness or their sorrow for a win or a loss,” he said.

“We are monitoring and assessing every threat possible and we are going to adapt to whatever happens.”

— With files from Global News’ Alessia Maratta, Brayden Jagger Haines and Phil Carpenter


Sponsored content