Judge reserves decision on bail hearing for youth accused in Calgary officer’s death

Click to play video: 'Youth court judge reserves decision on bail for teen accused in death of Calgary police officer' Youth court judge reserves decision on bail for teen accused in death of Calgary police officer
WATCH: One of two teens charged with first-degree murder will remain in custody for at least another week. As Jenna Feeeman reports, the judge in the bail hearing reserved his decision. – Jan 20, 2021

A teen accused in the hit and run death of a Calgary police officer will remain in custody for at least another eight days, pending a judge’s decision on his bail application.

The prosecution is opposed to the release of the young man — who was 17 at the time of the offence.

Sgt. Andrew Harnett was killed New Year’s Eve, following a traffic stop in northeast Calgary.

Read more: Family of slain Calgary police officer says he ‘loved life,’ embraced Alberta as home

Police allege the youth was the driver of the vehicle that took off, dragging Harnet, who died later in hospital.

He has been charged with first-degree murder and cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

Story continues below advertisement

Amir Adbulrahman, 19, is the alleged passenger and also faces first-degree murder charges.

Both accused turned themselves in on New Year’s Day.

Read more: Funeral and procession held for Calgary police officer Sgt. Andrew Harnett

Defence lawyer Kaysi Fagan said Wednesday that while the length of the bail hearing was atypical, she believed that it was necessary to be thorough given the complexity of the case and the public nature.

“Certainly the fact an officer was killed is concerning to the public and it’s going to be very divisive,” Fagan said.

“Any time there’s a death, whether it be an officer or a member of the public, it’s more difficult, the exposure is greater, the attention is greater, the scrutiny is greater.”

Read more: Bail hearing for youth accused in death of Calgary police officer adjourned to Wednesday

Crown prosecutor Douglas Taylor notified the defence Tuesday that if the youth accused was found guilty at trial, the prosecution would seek that he be sentenced as an adult. That adult sentence would be life in prison with no eligibility of parole for 10 years.

Youth Court Judge Steve Lipton will hand down his decision next Thursday, January 28.

Story continues below advertisement

Sponsored content