Build-up of lint cause of clothes dryer fire, says Kelowna Fire Department

Click to play video: 'Lint buildup causes fire at Kelowna laundromat'
Lint buildup causes fire at Kelowna laundromat
Lint buildup causes fire at Kelowna laundromat – Aug 21, 2020

Kelowna firefighters extinguished a minor clothes dryer fire during the lunch hour on Friday.

The fire department said it received calls of smoke, just before 12:30 p.m., coming from the roof area of a strip mall along the 2600 block of Pandosy Street.

Arriving crews quickly extinguished the fire at Cullens Cleaning and Laundromat.

Read more: Kelowna Fire Department rope team rescues motorist down embankment

Read next: Real-life Doogie Howser: Boy, 9, becomes one of the youngest-ever high school graduates

The fire department said the unit sustained minor fire damage, along with some smoke damage.

It added the fire’s cause was due to a build-up of lint.

Cullens said the fire shut down the laundromat until Tuesday.

Story continues below advertisement

The business is not accepting dry cleaning until the repairs are complete as well.

Clothing can still be picked up.

Six vehicles and 18 personnel attended the incident.

Click to play video: 'House fire safety 101 for kids'
House fire safety 101 for kids

Sponsored content