Mali President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita resigns after military mutiny

FILE - In this Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2019 file photo, Mali's President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita addresses the 74th session of the United Nations General Assembly at the United Nations headquarters. Mutinous soldiers surrounded the private residence of Mali's President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita on Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2020 firing shots into the air and deepening fears of a coup attempt following several months of demonstrations calling for his resignation. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II, File)

Malian President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita announced his resignation late Tuesday on state television, hours after mutinous soldiers fired shots into the air outside his home before detaining him and the prime minister.

The dramatic development comes after several months of regular demonstrations calling for Keita to step down from power three years before his final term was due to end.

Speaking on national broadcaster ORTM just before midnight, a distressed Keita wearing a mask amid the COVID-19 pandemic said his resignation was effective immediately. A banner across the bottom of the television screen referred to him as the “outgoing president.”

Read more: Mali soldiers detain senior officers, surround president’s home amid fears of coup

“I wish no blood to be shed to keep me in power,” Keita said. “I have decided to step down from office.”

Story continues below advertisement

Keita, who was democratically elected in 2013 and re-elected five years later, was left with few choices after the mutinous soldiers earlier in the day seized weapons from the armoury in the garrison town of Kati and then advanced on the capital of Bamako.

There was no immediate comment from the troops early Wednesday, who hailed from the same military barracks in Kati where an earlier coup originated more than eight years ago.

The political upheaval unfolded months after disputed legislative elections, but Keita’s support also had tumbled amid criticism of his government’s handling of an Islamic insurgency that has engulfed the country once praised as a model of democracy in the region.

Click to play video: 'Helicopter crash in Mali kills 13 French troops' Helicopter crash in Mali kills 13 French troops
Helicopter crash in Mali kills 13 French troops – Nov 26, 2019

The military has taken a beating over the past year from Islamic State and al-Qaida-linked groups. A wave of particularly deadly attacks in the north in 2019 prompted the government to close its most vulnerable outposts as part of a reorganization aimed at stemming the losses.

Story continues below advertisement

Tuesday’s developments already had been condemned by the African Union, the United States, and the regional bloc known as ECOWAS that had been trying to mediate Mali’s political crisis. Former colonizer France and the United Nations, which has maintained a peacekeeping mission in Mali since 2013, also had expressed alarm ahead of Keita’s speech.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres sought “the immediate restoration of constitutional order and rule of law,” U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said.

Tuesday’s political turmoil threatened to further jeopardize security in Mali, where the 2012 coup allowed the Islamic insurgency to take hold amid a power vacuum.

Read more: Attacks on UN convoy in Mali leaves 3 peacekeepers from Chad dead

But news of Keita’s detention was met with celebration throughout the capital by anti-government protesters who first took to the streets back in June to demand that the president step down three years before the end of his final term.

The detention was a dramatic change of fortune for Keita, who seven years earlier emerged from a field of more than two dozen candidates to win Mali’s first democratic post-coup election in a landslide with more than 77% of the vote.

Regional mediators from ECOWAS, though, had failed in recent weeks to bridge the impasse between Keita’s government and opposition leaders, creating mounting anxiety about another military-led change of power.

Story continues below advertisement

Then on Tuesday, soldiers Kati took weapons from the armoury at the barracks and detained senior military officers. Anti-government protesters immediately cheered the soldiers’ actions, some even setting fire to a building that belongs to Mali’s justice minister in the capital.

Prime Minister Boubou Cisse urged the soldiers to put down their arms.

“There is no problem whose solution cannot be found through dialogue,” he said in a communique.

But the wheels already were in motion _ armed men began detaining people in Bamako too, including the country’s finance minister, Abdoulaye Daffe.

Keita, who tried to meet protesters’ demands through a series of concessions, has enjoyed broad support from France and other Western allies. He also was believed to have widespread backing among high-ranking military officials, underscoring a divide between army leadership and unpredictable rank-and-file soldiers.

Tuesday marked a repeat of the events leading up to the 2012 coup, which unleashed years of chaos in Mali when the ensuing power vacuum allowed Islamic extremists to seize control of northern towns. Ultimately a French-led military operation ousted the jihadists, but they merely regrouped and expanded their reach during Keita’s presidency into central Mali.

Click to play video: 'United Nations associate spokesperson Eri Kaneko makes a statement on Mali killings' United Nations associate spokesperson Eri Kaneko makes a statement on Mali killings
United Nations associate spokesperson Eri Kaneko makes a statement on Mali killings – Jun 10, 2019

Keita’s political downfall closely mirrors that of his predecessor: Amadou Toumani Toure was forced out of the presidency in 2012 after a series of punishing military defeats. That time, the attacks were carried out by ethnic Tuareg separatist rebels. This time, Mali’s military has sometimes seemed powerless to stop extremists linked to al-Qaida and IS.

Story continues below advertisement

Back in 2012, the mutiny erupted at the Kati military camp as rank-and-file soldiers began rioting and then broke into the camp’s armoury. After grabbing weapons, they later headed for the seat of government under the leadership of Capt. Amadou Haya Sanogo. Sanogo was later forced to hand over power to a civilian transitional government, which then organized the election Keita won.

Mediators this time around have urged Keita to share power in a unity government. He even said he was open to redoing disputed legislative elections. But those overtures were swiftly rejected by opposition leaders who said they would not stop short of Keita’s ouster.

Protesters were quick to welcome the military’s action on Tuesday. “All the Malian people are tired _ we have had enough,” one demonstrator said.

Sponsored content