Advertisement

Peterborough tenants in 120 units displaced following electrical fire at apartment building

Click to play video: 'More than 100 tenants displaced following electrical fire at Peterborough apartment' More than 100 tenants displaced following electrical fire at Peterborough apartment
WATCH: More than 100 residents of a Peterborough high-rise apartment building were forced from their homes this weekend following a fire that seriously damaged the building's electrical system. – Aug 17, 2020

An electrical fire at a Peterborough apartment on Saturday night will displace all of the building’s tenants for several days.

On Saturday night, Peterborough Fire Services responded to a reported fire at an apartment on Hedonics Road.

According to chief Chris Snetsinger, the fire damaged the main electrical panel for the building, requiring residents to be evacuated until the life safety systems and power can be restored.

Read more: No injuries in fire at Canadian Mental Health Association building in Peterborough

“Resident safety is the top priority in an incident such as this,” stated Snetsinger. “Quick extinguishment of the fire in the electrical room prevented the spread of the fire. Firefighters worked diligently to remove and limit the smoke throughout the building.

“Firefighters and paramedics made countless trips up and down the apartment building staircase to assist residents and I thank them for their dedication.”

Story continues below advertisement

According to the City of Peterborough, residents from the approximately 120 apartment units are staying at hotels in the city or with friends or family. An example number of tenants impacted was not provided.

Peterborough Fire Services, Peterborough Paramedics, and the city’s emergency management assisted residents with leaving the building and finding accommodations. The City-County Disaster Trust Fund assisted those residents who did not have insurance and required further assistance.

“The last day and a half were a tremendous demonstration of kindness, caring and professionalism by Peterborough Fire Services and Peterborough Paramedics staff who worked tirelessly to support these residents,” stated Jodi DeNoble, the city’s manager of emergency management.

According to MacPherson Realty, owners of the building, the fire broke out in the main service switchboard in the building’s electrical room.

Story continues below advertisement

The goal is to have residents return by Tuesday afternoon or evening.

The cause of the fire is electrical and is not considered suspicious. No further investigation is required, Snetsinger said.

A damage estimate was not provided.

— With files from Tricia Mason, Global News Peterborough

Click to play video: 'No injuries in fire at CMHA HKPR building in Peterborough' No injuries in fire at CMHA HKPR building in Peterborough
No injuries in fire at CMHA HKPR building in Peterborough – Aug 17, 2020

Sponsored content