2 ships collide head-on in Ontario’s Welland Canal, video shows

Click to play video: '2 ships collide head-on in Welland, Ont.'
2 ships collide head-on in Welland, Ont.
WATCH: 2 ships collide head-on in Welland, Ont – Jul 11, 2020

Two ships collided head-on in Ontario’s Welland Canal on Saturday, video posted to social media shows.

Prior to the collision, both vessels appeared to be travelling in opposite directions on the same side of the canal, a key shipping route that connects Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.

Read more: U.S. launches investigation into Canada’s ‘unfavourable’ Great Lakes shipping rules

Read next: Tyre Nichols death: Canadians say it’s time to reflect on police actions in this country

The video shows the two cargo vessels, Alanis and Florence Spirit, slowly advancing toward each other before colliding.

Photos posted to Twitter by the Welland firefighters’ union showed each ship’s hull sustained damage in the incident.

The St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation (SLSMC) said in a statement that the collision occurred near Port Robinson just before 4 p.m. on Saturday.

Story continues below advertisement

SLSMC did not shed light on why the collision occurred but said navigation conditions were “normal” and the matter would be investigated by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada.

“The SLSMC’s Operations Control Centre responded swiftly to the incident, directing both ships to proceed to wharfs, where they were secured for inspection,” the corporation said. “Officials from Transport Canada and the Transportation Safety Board, supported by marine officers from the SLSMC, attended the scene to begin the investigation process.”

No one was hurt, and there was no pollution observed following the incident, the statement said.

At the time of the collision, Florence Spirit was shipping coal destined for Quebec City, while Alanis was bound for Duluth, Minn., with wind turbine components on board.

Story continues below advertisement

Both Niagara Regional Police and Welland Fire and Emergency Services said they were not called to respond to the incident.

Sponsored content