December 9, 2009 4:44 pm

Wetaskiwin cat saves owner’s life

A A

Phyllis Sjogren woke up Monday morning to find her cat Gepetto making a racket. According to Phyllis, Gepetto is normally not a noisy cat, so she got up to investigate. After getting up she found she was suffering from nausea and a headache. She called her husband at work, who reported that he had been feeling unwell before he left the house. It was at that point that her husband concluded that it might be carbon monoxide, and told Phyllis to get outside immediately.

When emergency crews arrived on scene they were able to confirm that the house was 70% full of carbon monoxide, and that Phyllis was in stage two of carbon monoxide poisoning. The third stage of carbon monoxide poisoning is death. Phyllis and her husband had been using the fireplace over the weekend, and snow buildup on the roof likely caused the chimney to back up.

Phyllis has since installed a carbon monoxide detector in her home, and suggests that everyone else should do the same. She credits Gepetto with saving her life.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.