Advertisement

COVID-19: China reports decline in new cases as total deaths number 2,236

Coronavirus outbreak: WHO says ‘window of opportunity remains open’ to contain outbreak
WATCH: WHO says ‘window of opportunity remains open’ to contain outbreak

China reported a further fall in new virus cases to 889 on Friday as health officials expressed optimism over containment of the outbreak that has caused more than 2,200 deaths and is spreading elsewhere.

Containment of the illness has been a struggle far from the epicenter in central China as a major South Korean city urged residents to stay indoors.

READ MORE: COVID-19: Quarantine periods for some Canadians at CFB Trenton coming to an end Friday

New infections in China have been falling for days, although changes in how it counts cases have caused doubts about the true trajectory of the epidemic.

“The downward trend will not be reversed,” insisted Ding Xiangyang, deputy chief secretary of the State Council and a member of the central government’s supervision group said on Thursday.

Story continues below advertisement

China’s figures for the previous 24 hours brought the total number of cases to 75,465. The 118 newly reported deaths raised the total to 2,236. More than 1,000 cases and 11 deaths have been confirmed outside the mainland.

Hubei province, the epicentre of the outbreak, reported an additional 220 cases in its prison system Thursday while revising the day’s new case total to 631 from 411.

South Korean city deserted after novel coronavirus ‘super-spreader’
South Korean city deserted after novel coronavirus ‘super-spreader’

Iran announced three more infections Thursday, a day after it reported its first two deaths, and South Korea reported its first fatality. Japan said two former passengers of the Diamond Princess cruise ship had died of the illness.

In Australia, two people who were flown back home after the 14-day quarantine on the Diamond Princess ended tested positive for the virus despite clearing multiple screenings before the flight.

Story continues below advertisement

“It’s possible more people could develop positive tests over the next few days,” said Australian Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy.

READ MORE: 6th case of COVID-19 reported in B.C., contracted by woman visiting Iran

The two new cases take the total number in Australia to 17. Of those, 10 people have recovered. Some 170 Australian passengers, most aged in their 60s and 70s, will be quarantined for an additional two weeks after leaving the Diamond Princess.

China last week had started recording new cases without waiting for laboratory results, causing a significant spike in the number of cases. But on Thursday it returned to its prior way of counting, and removed some cases from the tally because lab tests came back negative.

The changes are sure to aggravate observers who say consistency is key to understanding COVID-19’s path.

Coronavirus outbreak: Critics sound alarm over cruise ship quarantine
Coronavirus outbreak: Critics sound alarm over cruise ship quarantine

—With a file from Reuters

Story continues below advertisement