After 2018 Northern Manitoba train derailment, inquest called into death of conductor

An aerial view of the train derailment near Ponton, Man. is seen in this handout photo. The Canadian Press / Transportation Safety Board of Canada

Manitoba’s chief medical examiner has called an inquest into the death of the conductor of a train that derailed after going over a washed-out bridge in a remote area of Northern Manitoba.

Kevin Anderson of The Pas died at the scene of the derailment, roughly 545 km northwest of Winnipeg on the Hudson Bay Rail line near Ponton, Man., Sept. 16, 2018.

The cause of Anderson’s death was multiple blunt force injuries due to the train derailment.

READ MORE: One man dead, another left with life-threatening injuries after train derailment

Another train worker also trapped in the train was critically injured in the crash.

In a release Wednesday the province said the inquest has been called to determine the co-ordination of a multi-agency response to the accident, including police, paramedics and other first responders.

Story continues below advertisement

Anderson and the other railway worker were trapped inside the train for hours after the derailment, first responders said at the time of the crash.

Click to play video: 'Aerial view of Manitoba spill from derailed tanker cars' Aerial view of Manitoba spill from derailed tanker cars
Aerial view of Manitoba spill from derailed tanker cars – Feb 20, 2019

The train was carrying cargo including gasoline, liquid propane gas and butane, and while none of that spilled or leaked, some fuel from one of the locomotives leaked into the Metishto River.

READ MORE: Derailed train that killed worker now leaking fuel into northern Manitoba river

A Transportation Safety Board investigator previously said beavers may have contributed to the train derailment.

Jerry Berriault, the board’s regional senior investigator, told The Canadian Press that the train had been travelling around 40 km/h when it met with the washed-out piece of track.

Story continues below advertisement

Berriault, who was on site west of Ponton for two days investigating, said there was high water in the area and signs of beaver activity.

— With files from The Canadian Press

Sponsored content