Advertisement

‘Electricity is unforgiving’: Warning issued over new TikTok power outlet challenge

Click to play video: 'TTC subway rider appears to film video through missing window of train door'
TTC subway rider appears to film video through missing window of train door
WATCH ABOVE: A TTC subway rider shared a video on TikTok that appears to show them sticking a camera outside of a missing train window. (Jan. 24) – Jan 24, 2020

The Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) is warning residents about the dangers brought on by participating in a new challenge on the popular social media platform TikTok.

The so-called #OutletChallenge consists of someone sliding a coin in between a phone charger that is loosely plugged into an outlet and then sharing the video to social media.

The ESA said there have been no known injuries reported so far, but officials said the videos are a cause for concern.

“Electricity is unforgiving and no family should have to endure the pain of losing a loved one or their home because of a social media trend,” said Dr. Joel Moody, chief public safety officer for the ESA.

Story continues below advertisement

LISTEN: Dr. Joel Moody of the Electrical Safety Authority joins Global News Radio 640 Toronto

Ajax Fire and Emergency Services also released a statement warning residents about the dangerous trend.

Breaking news from Canada and around the world sent to your email, as it happens.
For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.
By providing your email address, you have read and agree to Global News' Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

“Children are often curious and may not know how dangerous electricity is,” said Shelby Langer, a fire prevention inspector for the Town of Ajax.

Story continues below advertisement

“They need to know that this challenge is very dangerous. It can cause a painful shock, burn injury, and potentially a house fire.”

According to the ESA, 110 kids under the age of 15 go to the hospital for a “preventable” electrical injury every year in Ontario.

@danielson69420

I’m getting suspended please like😂😭 #fyp #foryou #fypchallenge #outletchallege #viral

♬ original sound - danielson69420

Sponsored content

AdChoices