Witness recalls fatal single-vehicle Calgary crash where car split in half

Click to play video '32-year-old killed in crash along Bow Bottom Trail in southeast Calgary' 32-year-old killed in crash along Bow Bottom Trail in southeast Calgary
WATCH: One man is dead after a crash along Bow Bottom Trail in southeast Calgary on Sunday morning. As Josh Ritchie reports, people living along the road witnessed the crash scene, and worked to save the lone occupant of the vehicle – Nov 3, 2019

EDITOR’S NOTE: This story originally said the crash happened on the east side of the road when it was the west. It has been updated to reflect that.

A 32-year-old man is dead after a single-vehicle crash in southeast Calgary Sunday morning.

Officers were called out to Bow Bottom Trail between 137 Avenue S.E. and 146 Avenue S.E. around 2:30 a.m.

Police later corrected the time of the crash to 1:30 a.m.

Upon arrival, police found a white 2010 Mazda A3i split in half after striking a light post on the west side of the road.

“I looked out the window and basically saw a car ripped in half,” said Mike Sorochan, who witnessed the crash scene. “I thought it was two cars, the way it broke in half, so we were looking for another body and never found one.”

Story continues below advertisement
A man was killed and a car was split in half after a crash in Calgary on Sunday, Nov. 3, 2019. Josh Ritchie/Global News

People living along both sides of Bow Bottom Trail, as well as some travelling on the road, worked to try and save the man who police said was ejected from the vehicle.

“I gave him my jacket to try and keep him warm until fire or ambulance or something showed up, and I knew there wasn’t much hope for him, unfortunately,” Sorochan said. “I was talking to him, looking him in the eyes, telling him, ‘Keep breathing, keep breathing. The ambulance is here. You’re going to be OK.’”

Police said the lone occupant of the vehicle died on scene.

Officials said excessive speed, as well as alcohol, weren’t being ruled out as possibilities in the crash.

For those who witnessed the wreckage, it’s a sight that won’t fade anytime soon.

Story continues below advertisement

“I’m sure I’m going to be OK, but it’s not something I’m going to forget,” Sorochan said.

The stretch of Bow Bottom Trail was closed for nearly six hours, but has since reopened.