As the 12:01 Monday morning strike deadline inches closer, school boards across Ontario are preparing to inform parents if schools will be open for students. Global News has reached out to a number of boards that are planning to shut down classes Monday should a strike happen.
Below is a compilation of their responses. It will be updated as additional boards inform Global News of their communication plans:
Once we learn whether a tentative deal has been reached or not, we’re planning to email parents and provide updates on our website and social media.
The Algonquin and Lakeshore Catholic District School Board will continue to monitor this job action closely and will provide parents and guardians with updates through the board website: www.alcdsb.on.ca and through school websites and social media.
Information will be posted on the BGCDSB website. Parents/Guardians will also receive information from the school and board through School Messenger. Please make sure that your contact information is up-to-date at the school so that you receive these updates. If you have questions, you can review the information posted to our site and, as always, you can speak with your school principal.
As circumstances in our schools change, we will provide regular updates on the situation on our web page.
Please note in conclusion that all letters issued on the negotiations are available in space “Info-Negos” accessible from the home page of our website. New information is also communicated via the Facebook page.
The board will provide an update about the status of schools as soon as we receive notice. We will communicate directly with parents and guardians via our School Messenger service and post updates at www.dcdsb.ca/collectivebargaining. If a settlement is reached, DCDSB schools will be open for students on Monday morning.
A copy of the information emailed to parents on Friday can be found on our website. Within this messaging, parents have been alerted that, for updates on the strike and school closures, they will be informed through email via our School Messenger system and info will be posted on our social media channels (Twitter and Facebook). We have also suggested that they check our website for updates, and listen for breaking news from local media, as we will be providing an update/release to them once we have any definitive news regarding the outcomes of this weekend’s negotiations.
When results of the negotiations with CUPE are released this weekend, Grand Erie will confirm the status of schools for Monday. Information will be posted on the Board’s website (www.granderie.ca) as well as its Twitter (@GEDSB) and Facebook (GEDSB) accounts. The latest a decision will be made regarding the closure of schools is 6:30 a.m. on Monday (October 7).
The HDSB is monitoring the situation and will continue to provide parents/guardians with accurate and timely information as we are able through email, the HDSB website and the board’s social media pages (Twitter/Facebook/Instagram).
If the CUPE strike proceeds and we have to close our schools to students, we will notify our community in the following ways: An email will be sent to all HCDSB parents. A notice will be posted on our HCDSB website. A notice will be shared through Twitter @HCDSB. We will also be posting the information prominently on our Board website and each of our school websites.
We encourage you to monitor the board website and media for more information. Updates will be posted board at https://www.hwcdsb.ca/labourupdates2019/.
We will constantly be re-evaluating this situation every day. Updates will be posted on the Labour Updates section of our website, on our Twitter account @HPEschools, and reported through local media.
Updates regarding CUPE contract negotiations will be posted on our web page. Visit the Frequently Asked Questions web page for more information.
We will confirm the status of our schools Monday morning, much the way we handle inclement weather days. We will share information by 6 a.m. on our Board communication channels and direct messages to families.
If there is any news Sunday, we will send notice up to 10:30 pm Sunday evening. If there is news overnight Sunday, we will send an update between 5:30 and 6:30 am on Monday.
If an agreement is reached, schools will open as usual on Monday. We are committed to providing an update to all parents/guardians over the weekend. For ongoing updates and the latest information, please continue to check www.tncdsb.on.ca.
We are committed to keeping you informed. Our Board and school websites will be the location for public announcements and updates regarding the labour disruption. As soon as we have an update, a second message will be sent to parents on Sunday evening using School Messenger to update you regarding the outcome of the provincial negotiations.
We will continue to monitor developments closely and will provide confirmation to parents about school status for Monday as soon as we are able. This will likely be on Sunday evening, through: School Messenger, local news media, our website and social media platforms: www.kprschools.ca, on Twitter, and Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board on Facebook.
We will be posting labour relations updates on our website – www.pvnccdsb.on.ca, on Twitter and we will be communicating any updates in the central negotiation process directly to families via our School Messenger system by Sunday evening.
We will communicate with our families as soon as we are made aware of an outcome this weekend. We encourage you to check our board website at www.smcdsb.on.ca for updates as they become available.
If a settlement is reached, we will communicate with families as quickly as possible when students may return to class. Updated information will be posted on www.tvdsb.ca.
We ask you to watch local news reports throughout the weekend, check the board website at www.tcdsb.org for any updates or follow on Twitter. As soon as we have new information to share, we will let you know.
We understand that this can be very frustrating for families and hope that a provincial agreement with CUPE will be reached very soon.Updates will be provided to you as more information becomes available. To find out the status of labour action in Trillium Lakelands District School Board visit www.tldsb.ca/labour-updates.
We will confirm the status of our schools by Monday, October 7 by 6:15 at the latest, as we would for a snow day. We will communicate with families as quickly as possible once the Board receives notice about what CUPE actions will be. We will continue to post information to this website, send information via My Family Room (email) and social media. If you are not currently signed up to receive email via My Family Room, please take this opportunity to sign up now: myfamilyroom.ca/Account/Login
Please note that updates are regularly being posted to our website www.wcdsb.ca and there is a Frequently Asked Questions section there as well, which may prove helpful.
The Windsor-Essex Catholic District School Board is committed to ensuring that parents, students and other key stakeholders are kept up to date regarding any potential work stoppages that might affect the safe operation of our schools. You can find the latest updates here. Additionally, we would remind people to follow the Board’s Twitter and stay tuned to local media outlets for further information. When required we will post updated information to the Board’s web site and will use our voice messaging system to communicate directly with parents.
We have been informed that bargaining will continue through the weekend. If circumstances change, we will continue to update you and will provide as much information as possible. You can find updates on the Board website: www.yrdsb.ca. You may also follow our Twitter account @yrdsb for immediate updates. We recognize this situation is concerning and disappointing. I want to assure you that all decisions are being made with your child’s safety as our first priority. If you have questions, please visit our FAQ page.
If a negotiated settlement is not reached, the YCDSB will let parents know as soon as possible after being notified. We will contact parents by email through our School Messenger communication system. Information will also be available on our website www.ycdsb.ca and on Twitter (@ycdsb).
More to come. Responses have been lightly edited.
— With files from Katherine Aylesworth